Friday, November 7, 2014

Simplicity 1366

Simplicity 1366, a drop-shouldered, cropped top has been doing the rounds of late. I thought it looked good, but wasn't going to buy it. Then three bloggers whose style I adore made it up, and I decided to take the plunge. Check out Mixed Emotions version,  Groovy Baby and Mama's version,  and Lily Sage & Co's version.

To start, I decided to make it in leftovers of a viscose I bought from Tessuti last Christmas - I made a pair of Suzy pants and had about 1m leftover. So I made a 1366!

Warning: these photos are fairly terrible, sorry. It was rainy and yucky and I was en route to work and had about 2 minutes to get photographed. My motto these days is to get things photographed. Otherwise they never will.


I made a size 12 and after some advice from fellow Instagrammers of similar height to me, lengthened it at the hem and at the sleeves by 2.5cm.


In future versions, I will pinch about 1cm out of the back neckline. It is a tad too wide across there.

I wore it with my black Libby A-Line skirt. Perhaps a teeny bit short for work, but I am used to government attire. Would never wear this to a government job, but I was sitting in my office all day that day. Although I did go out for lunch with my boss. I think next week I will wear it with my black Papercut Patterns Pleated pants and brogues.


I think this looks like one of those professional school photos were you turn slightly side on and smile, usually with a white sheet behind you.

Have you made one of these? I'm going to make a Liberty one soon (maybe at Sewjourn), and like the idea of lengthening it into a dress - perhaps in a nice rayon or viscose. How about you?

16 comments:

  1. Love it with the Libby, it's a good look! I'm loving the boxy silhouette and I'm going to try and get something similar from a Japanese pattern. Fingers crossed it looks as good as yours

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this top! Must get this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I need this pattern too... Enabler!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yours looks great! I love it in the viscose. I need to try this pattern in a drapey fabric at some point. I can't wait to see your Liberty version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely and really suits you Rachel! Photos are lovely anyway - but yes, that last one, actually my sister did a school exchange in Florida in the late 80s and had photos done a bit like that, except in full makeup with a blue-sky-and-clouds background, soft focus and I think there was a version with some fluffy feathery thing around her shoulders! A bit wrong really.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Own the pattern, haven't sewn it, but now I want to! :)


    This looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should definitely make one! They are lovely to wear and take very little sewing time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha that is funny Jane! Your sister's photo sounds straight out of Napoleon Dynamite. Thanks about the top.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Debbie! I was thinking of buying some Nani Iro to make one. I think I'm going to make a sleeveless dress version out of my Liberty. I've got 2m of it so don't want to leave a weird remnant. And it would be the perfect Liberty for a sleeveless easy fit dress. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes you must! You'd look great in it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did I get the styling idea from you on Instagram? I knew I'd gotten it from somewhere but can not remember for the life of me. Good luck with your Japanese pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rach, I am seriously inspired by your makes! This is awesome- corporate sassy! And yet another version of 1366! This pattern is pure gold!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Amanda! I am, in turn, inspired by YOUR makes! I totally love this pattern - definitely going to be on repeat here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look great! I love this pattern and have just finished its twin:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just recently made a white linen version. I like it but I do need more length. Also, the linen I used is kind of crisp. I think it would be much nicer in a drapey fabric like this. Love the print!

    ReplyDelete